Thanks to Scholesy, FM's Spirit Alive in South Africa
Scholesy Reports from South Africa:
OK, so here's how it went.
We got to the stadium at about 13h00 and walked about a little getting some pictures, it was a great party atmosphere with dancing and tons of drums. The Brazilians were loving life and the Portuguese fans, well, they were there, they just didn't seem as jovial. The Brazilians smiled the entire time, loved that.
We took her flag around some of the groups of fans and took some pictures with Brazilians holding the flag, it was a really cool experience, three groups even asked if we could pray for RSLFM with the flag. One group prayed that God would tell her people loved her and missed her and asked that she should be allowed to attend the game with them to sing with Brazilians. Yeah that one choked me up. The other group prayed that Jesus would remind Gabriela that the game was going to start soon and to stop doing good work in Heaven for a while and watch the game with Him. Again, tough to hold back. The third group prayed in Portuguese so I have no idea what they said.
One group made up a chant right in front of me and chanted for about 2 minutes, it was awesome. I didn't understand them I just knew that having about 35 people singing it was cool. I could only make out RSLFM and Gabriela a couple of times and the one man who spoken broken English said it was a song for a 'clever woman who lives with God and referees from the heavens'. I wish I had a way to record it but on my phone it didn't turn out at all. But I did get pictures of them singing it. More on these guys later.
My friend who is from Brazil who was taking the flag back to Brazil with him was tough to get a hold of, turns out his phone was stolen and of course he didn't have my numbers so we didn't meet up. I was very concerned as to how I would get the flag back to Brazil and be cared for.
I'm a God fearing chap so I said a prayer.
It is the coolest thing.
I saw some of the guys that were singing a chant for RSLFM and they were with some other guys walking towards me. We chatted a while and they asked me how it was going. Then they asked if they could have their picture taken with the rest of the group who had shown up, of course I said yes. So over we go to a group of about 20 drums and about 60 people.
We snap some pictures and then the one guy who was filming them asks what I will do with the flag, I explain that her friends want it to go back to Brazil and then a big smile breaks on his face and he says proudly, "We are The Brazilian band, we are The Drummers, we drum long, for 15 years we have no missed a Brazil game, we go everywhere, everywhere! You will see us at all Brazil games, can you honour me to taking Gabriela with us into the stadium, I will hang the flag for her and then when it is over we take the flag with us as one of our flags and she will go to every Brazil game forever now, with me - I hang all the flags, it will be an honour if you allow us'.
As we talked he asked me what RSLFM stood for, I told him it was for Real Salt Lake Fortaleza Menina, which I said, I thought was where she was from, he started to smile and then he cheered loudly, seriously, loudly. I was puzzled and he said 'I, I am from Fortaleza, it is Fort in English! She is a Fortaleza girl! I am happy Pirambue boy!' I don't know what that means but I'll look it up later.
She will enjoy those games with them and her flag will be looked after. They showed me a bag with old flags in it. He said that when an old flag is too damaged to use they still bring it with them! How cool is that!
I started to well up, it was a very emotional moment because I knew that all of you who knew her better than I, would approve. Gaby will go to every Brazil game now with the drummers, the die hard fans, with someone from Fortaleza, people who I know will care and respect her name. But most of all her flag will stay in Fortaleza with him and all the other flags.
Of all the people, of all the fans there at the Moses Mabida stadium in Durban that day - I met them. I don't believe in coincidences.
God bless her and I hope He likes football cus that's what she's talking to him about.
I hope RSLFM knows we miss her and appreciated her.
It was a good day.
-Scholesy
My personal thanks go out to our South African dwelling friend and RSL supporter, Scholesy, for having such an amazing heart. He brought a Brazil flag with 'RSLFM RIP' on it in honor of our late but great friend, Gabriela, or better known as RSLFM. His desire to bring FM with him to the Brazil match is an astounding display of love and respect for someone that we all admired and cherished.
I know she would have approved, and I know she was there that day with Scholesy, watching and studying the beautiful game, just as she did when she was with us.
From deep within my heart, I thank Scholesy for bringing Gaby with him to the World Cup. Thank you for sharing these photos with all of us.
-Boz
Salt Lake + San Jose = Zero
RSL draws with San Jose 0-0 at Rio Tinto in front of 16K goal-thirsty fans. RSL remains unbeaten at home.