RSL BOZ

RSLBoz.com
 
New Place, New Passion

by: Jessyca








I was not always a Utah resident, nor a soccer fan. I, like many other children, participated in AYSO growing up in Southern California and like a lot of other children; my participation in the sport never really blossomed into a passion or even an interest. Cut to 2007, moving from Southern Nevada to Salt Lake City on a whim, I was terrified. I didn’t know anyone, and had no idea how I was going to fit in.


While still adjusting to the city, I began seeing some ads for this Real team that had just signed some phenom named Freddy Adu and thought, “Hmm… maybe it might be fun to see a game”. Well, as 2007 turned into 2008, I finally decided to go to a game. Due to the inexpensive tickets, I picked the LHUSOC Play-in game against the San Jose Earthquakes to be my first professional soccer game. I’m sure many of you remember this game and although I can’t remember the goals; I remember the feeling I had each time one was scored, I remember the chants and cheers for the orange ball to be brought out in the middle of a snowstorm, and I remember Nat Borchers shaking my hand and telling my friend and I how awesome it was that we had been waiting for an hour in the storm just to get his autograph. Needless to say, I was hooked.


I’ve been through a lot with these guys; I remember the heartbreak I felt last year against New York, but I also remember everyone spontaneously chanting “R S L” and the pride I felt for our boys because they gave it all they had. Then this year, when Findley scored that goal in the MLS Cup, to say I freaked out would be an understatement. I think I jumped about five feet in the air and yelled at the top of my lungs. I know it was a feeling that many of you were experiencing also. Whether you were at Lumpys, Quest Field, or sitting at home on the couch; we all felt it.


Although I may not still be as outgoing as I’d like, I’ve never felt like I fit in more than when I’m cheering with everyone at Rio Tinto… when I’m being covered with confetti next to La Barra Real, or when I’m singing about the fact that nobody likes Joe Cannon with Section 26. I’m proud to say that Salt Lake City is my home, Real Salt Lake is my team, and that soccer is my passion.





-Jessyca





















 

RSLBOZ.com