MLSnet.com/Luis Bueno:
Chivas happy to have Talley"I kind of got a feeling in the locker room when I was in Salt Lake that maybe something was in the works," Talley said. "I kind of prepared myself for it in the days before it did happen."
Our Sports Central:
Real Salt Lake Weekly UpdateWhile Real Salt Lake trails 3-8-1 in its overall series against FC Dallas, it was RSL that struck first in this year's three-game season series on May 10, courtesy of its 2-1 victory at Rice-Eccles Stadium. But the scene in "Big D" has been a different story, with Real Salt Lake dropping all five of its previous road contests against the "Hoops," the last four of which took place at Pizza Hut Park. However, if history is any indication the game will go down to the wire, as eight of the last nine meetings have been determined by one goal, with the other match resulting in a draw.
RSL Blog Updates:The Heretic Report:
Random Thoughts for a Monday MorningIn other interesting news, RSL is finally going to take a bit of a plunge into the local youth soccer scene, and have announced their intention to build a u-17 squad on May 30th and June 1st. The two day open try-out doesn’t come with a lot of useful information about who will coach the team, what league they’ll play in or other juicy tidbits. Last year RSL Utah carried a u-17 and a u-16 under their banner. I’ll try to keep better track of this one than I did last year.
Keepin' it Real:
A Real World ReviewUnfortunately, it’s getting harder to find positives, but here’s my best shot: First, we’re due for a road win. Second, we have generally been competitive in every match we’ve played. The second half of the Colorado match was hopefully an exception. We have looked extremely good for long stretches but still do not have the consistent quality that we need to be a top tier team in this league. We have still scored enough goals to this point in the season to put us in the middle of the pack for goals scored. We are still not out of contention in what is shaping up to be a weak Western conference.
AYLsoccer.com:
cRapids-RSL Match Photos by DeuceReal Salt Lake Schedule: May 20-28, 2008(
Courtesy of RSL Communications)
Training...
All RSL practices are open to members of the media and the general public, with media availability for all players and coaches to immediately follow each session. Those planning on attending any session can confirm the time and location of that day's training by contacting the RSL Communications Department at 801-924-8584. Tuesday, May 20:
Training at XanGo Field in Lehi – 9:30 a.m. & 3:30 p.m.
Wednesday, May 21:
Off Day
Thursday, May 22:
Training at XanGo Field in Lehi – 10:00 a.m.
Friday, May 23:
Training at XanGo Field in Lehi – 9:00 a.m.; Depart for Dallas
Saturday, May 24:
RSL at FC Dallas – Pizza Hut Park in Frisco, TX – 6:30 p.m. MT- LIVE on KSL-TV 5, KALL 700 Sports (RSL First Kick at 5:30 p.m.), and Ke Buena 1600 AM
Sunday, May 25:
Depart for Columbus; Off Day
Monday, May 26:
Training at Crew Training Center in Obetz, OH – 1:00 p.m. ET
Tuesday, May 27:
USOC Play-In Game: RSL at Columbus Crew – Crew Stadium in Columbus, OH – 5:30 p.m. MT- LIVE on KALL 700 Sports (RSL First Kick @ 4:30 p.m.)
Wednesday, May 28:
Return to Salt Lake City; Off Day

My Empty CupI awake in the early morning. I stretch while yawning, and open my sleepy eyes. As the ridge of the rising sun peers over the rugged edges of the majestic Wasatch Front, its outreaching beams of virgin light race across the Valley, piercing through the slits on the blinds hanging from my window, and gently seep through the curtains, casting crisp light upon the sleepy bedroom air.
My pupil’s dilate, my retinas sharpen, and life flashes into focus.
Immediately after arriving to the majority of my senses, sounds from the kitchen rattle in my eardrums, stirring up the stagnant pool of mush that lay in between my ears. A repetitive click followed by a rusty chug shuffle through the air like the vibrations from Samba Gringa at an RSL match.
That’s when my mind caught up with the rest of my body.
Instantly I was reminded of the 2-1 victory over FC Dallas the night before. The odors of Rice-Eccles began swirling around, commencing a flurry of activity in my brain. The calming, cooling scent of fresh mountain air mixed with whiffs of greasy concessions, cigarette smoke and cotton candy flood my mind.
But I still feel uneasy about something, like I usually do when reliving my clubs’ latest result.
Soon thereafter, as I made my way downstairs while nearly tripping over my twelve year old cat, flashbacks of Javier’s hustle goal that he slotted in through two Dallas defenders after forcing a mistake by Sala played through my head. The boys celebrated that goal with such conviction and genuine rapture.
Still something wasn’t right.
The rhythmic chugging sounds got closer as I made it down the last stair and into the hallway. A new dimension had been added to this sound, this hypnotic beat: A
hiss and a forceful
pop sound, very much like a Samba Gringa band member's tambourine. “Ah, of course,” I said to myself after rounding the corner and taking in the aroma of Columbian grinds. It was just good ole’ Mr. Coffee bouncing around the counter top.
Pouring myself a cup, I sit near the table and ponder yester-night further.
Why is it that even after a victory I am still apprehensive and uneasy? Sure, I celebrated with a few cold Blue Moon’s while digging through match photos, but the morning after always puts a much clearer, logical perspective on events transpired.
I can't stop thinking about the many reasons why I am so reserved.
Could it be all of the prior seasons of disappointment that hold me back? Is it the numerous mistakes this fledgling club has made and will possibly continue to make until the right management steps in? Is it because I know they will play like beaten dogs every time they go out on the road? Is it because Jason Kreis is on thin ice, or should be but isn’t, or maybe he is but shouldn't be? Will Kreis be drowning in his own excuses much too long like Ellinger did before Uncle Dave mercifully pulled the trigger on the poor sap? Is it simply because I know it's better to remain strong, yet humble in victory, than it is to gloat?
Yeah, right.
As I tilt my head back and get the last “comforting” drop of liquid life (coffee, that is) my mind turns to the sounds of Samba Gringa and the freely bouncing reverberations of energy traveling deep within my soul, releasing an electric surge throughout my being and lifting me to fearlessly face the unknown. I will not lose hope in today, nor in days beyond this one.
Yet just as my empty cup, so too is my well of faith in my beloved Real Salt Lake.
-
Boz
Blog Updates:The Mind of Scads:
Excuse me sir? That's what I ordered.As the season moves on RSL's results are becoming all too familiar. Yes, there is improvement, but not enough to make us a playoff caliber team (unless the league lets us play all remaining games at RES).
Boz Art:
"Scarcely"
Boz Note:If anyone would like to submit their thoughts on anything RSL related, please email me at
rslboz@gmail.comAlso, if you would like to share any pictures you may take, or if you have any original artwork that is either RSL or soccer related, please send your work my way and I will gladly post it here.
I'd like to make this site more than just my stuff, so hit me up if you'd like to share your thoughts\creations with the RSL community. Regardless of topic, your independent opinions are most welcome.
Cheers,
Boz